Sculpting Cobra Emblems in Green Stuff

The 1980's Pulp Project I have been working on has introduced me to a lot more conversion work than I did in the past using the green stuff epoxy.  Previously I had only used green stuff for filling gaps or simple weapon change conversions, but now find myself making capes, weapons, pouches etc.

Youtube and Facebook sculpting groups have proven to be a great resource and I though I would give back a little bit with the method I have been using to create the iconic Cobra emblem from the GI Joe universe.

I begin by making a small ball of green stuff and pressing it onto the model where the emblem will be set.  I always find less is more when choosing how big of a ball to make.  I press the ball flat onto the surface.

Next I use a pointed clay shaper lightly covered in water.  I use silicone shapers, a cheap pack is about $10 for a set of 5 and I use all of them a lot.  I press into the shape as shown above.

I continue to press and create the above indentation in the existing form.

I repeat the process on the opposite side.

Using less pressure, I shape the head by applying running the shaper down the center spine and then pinching in at the top to form the head.

Next step is to push from the outside of the form with the silicone shaper again to start making the cowl form.

The same is duplicated to the other side.

The final move is to touch up the form into the end shape.


I hope this helps with any conversions you may be attempting.  I would try a couple off of the actual miniature first to get the hang of it.

More to come,
Doc

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts