Warhammer 40k Kill Team

It’s been some time since I last played any form of Games Workshop game. For a lot of us in my age bracket, we have fond memories of Rogue Trader followed by what felt like corporate manipulation of a game and hobby leading many of us like myself into alternate games for the tabletop.

Despite my bad blood with old GW, I played a game of Kill Team with our local gaming group and had a good time.

There are some distinctly different things for this GW game, a lower cost in time and money to play, only 5 models needed for most teams at about $50 with the rulebook and some terrain pieces.

The game runs quickly, with an I go you go turn style set in phases. Quick reference sheets are available for free online to speed game play and detailed stat cards mean very little reference back to the rule book itself.

Because of the low number of models, there is space for customizing and adding some flair to your team. You can randomly generate names, temperaments and games can be played in an ongoing campaign where territory and skills can be built upon.

Our game for tonight was a one off learning mission with 100pt Battle Forged teams.


The tables

The Space Shark Space Marine Team I fielded supplied by Rob

On the other table Death Guard of Tim fight Rob and his Necrons.

My missile launcher trooper engages in a duel with Dave’s in the building across the street.

Dave’s team of Word Bearers. We had exact same forces, just different chapters.

A large part of our game was bolted and missile fire between buildings.

Necrons advance on the other table, Tim and I sing the theme song to the Terminator movies.

Looks like you’ve got a bad case of Crypteks!

Death Guard navigate the low ceilings with high horns

A Necrons firing gallery

Death Guard advance

Word Bearers suffer defeat.

The games moved quick, under 2 hours really for our first game. Looking at Dave and I’s game of identical forces it really came down to the dice for our game as we both played out the same strategy.
Like I said, fun stuff, if I were to buy a team, I think it might be Dark Angels or something else I never fielded 20 years ago.

More to come,
Doc

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts